Thursday 21 November 2013

Truth is subjective! (for me)

"Truth is subjective. We all construct our own world of 'truth' and no one's version of 'truth' is any more valid than anyone else's. There is no 'objective' truth."
"Heil, Hitler!"
"Totally valid."
"You're an idiot."
"Totally valid."...
"You actually believe that you're an idiot and that Nazi's are cool?"
"No, I didn't mean those things were valid for *me*, but they are for *you*."
"Hmm... you're kind of missing the point... But... your claim about the subjectivity of truth: who is that valid for?"
"For me."
"So shouldn't you have said, "*I* construct *my* own world of 'truth' and no one else's version of 'truth' has any validity for *me*"? In other words, you don't care what anybody else thinks."
"That's right: you want to be a Nazi, go ahead. I won't like it, but it's totally valid, for *you*."
"But you're missing the point: I don't want to be a Nazi!"
"Sure, that's valid for *you*, but I really don't care."
"You really are an idiot!"
"Again, totally valid, but I don't care."

1 comment: